Capstone Associated Services, Ltd. is the leading provider of turnkey captive insurance services for mid-market businesses and their principal owners. For over CAP_YEARS_NUMBER years, our captive insurance management and alternative risk planning team have supported businesses in the legal and regulatory processes associated with forming their own captive insurance companies.
The Capstone Team continues to help clients navigate through the legal and regulatory processes involved in alternative risk planning.
Your multi-disciplinary team consists of:
- Risk management & insurance professionals
- Reinsurance providers
- Regulatory, tax, corporate, & financing lawyers
- Resident domicile managers
- Independent auditors
- Administrative personnel
- CPAs specializing in insurance accounting
Get to know us and see what our captive insurance management and alternative risk planning experts can do for you!
Stewart A. Feldman, CEO and General Counsel
- Juris Doctor awarded cum laude by The University of Michigan Law School, May 1980. Instructor Financial Accounting & Accounting Theory, University of Michigan Business School, 1979.
- M.Sc. (Accounting) and B.Sc.(Econ.) awarded by The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, 1975. B.Sc.(Econ.) magna cum laude, Dean's List With Distinction all semesters.
- General Course Student at The London School of Economics and Political Science, 1973-1974.
Certifications and Licenses
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Tax Court, 2016.
Stewart A. Feldman has over thirty years of experience in a variety of sophisticated legal, tax and financial transactions involving a wide range of industries. He is one of the foremost national experts on captive insurance/alternative risk planning, having headed up over CAPTIVE_FORMATIONS captive formations and operations.
Mr. Feldman draws upon a strong tax, financial, and accounting background dating back to a career in public accounting (CPA - Ohio, 1975 and Texas, 19801) following his completion of graduate business school. Mr. Feldman is able to draw upon years of experience on the substantive business side of transactions from both financial and the legal perspectives and as a principal in various business transactions.
From 1975 - 1978, Mr. Feldman was a member of the national technical group at Ernst & Ernst (now Ernst & Young), Cleveland, Ohio, where he authored eight articles for national and international accounting journals.
From 1980 - 1982, Mr. Feldman served as a corporate finance and securities lawyer (mergers and acquisitions) at the Houston law firm of Vinson & Elkins LLP.
From 1982 - 1992, Mr. Feldman oversaw the legal, financial, operational and administrative functions of several dozen brother-sister investment entities as principal and CFO at Wolff, Morgan & Company/Wolff Companies, a Houston based investment group that focused on real estate (as the largest commercial land developer in Houston) and automotive investments. These brother-sister entities held assets in excess of $200 million, with Mr. Feldman managing $125 million in credit facilities.
While CFO at Wolff, Mr. Feldman was an owner and dealer-principal of several Houston area automotive dealerships (1986-1989), including two Jaguar franchises. Mr. Feldman also co-owned and operated a direct importing and distribution company that purchased automotive parts from European and Asian suppliers for distribution to franchised dealers throughout the U.S. and Canada. When the franchised operations were sold in 1989, revenues had doubled to $50-plus million over a three-year period and employment exceeded 150 persons.
For more than the last decade, Mr. Feldman has been the chief executive officer or managing partner and principal owner of several Houston-based businesses.
The Feldman Law Firm LLP specializes in sophisticated corporate and tax planning for closely held businesses. The Firm is engaged on behalf of Mr. Feldman’s affiliated business interests as well as third party clients. The Firm also serves as litigation counsel for clients in a variety of commercial and business litigation matters. The Firm began in 1992 and Mr. Feldman continues to serve as its managing partner. Mr. Feldman's practice focuses on being counsel for various closely held businesses, applying his legal, tax and financial skills for the benefit of the Firm’s clients.
Capstone Associated Services, Ltd. is principally engaged in administering property and casualty insurance companies for the benefit of third parties. The insurers are affiliated with closely held businesses operating in a variety of industries located throughout the United States. Capstone has formed in excess of 150 such companies and presently operates 80-plus on a turnkey basis for its clients. Capstone was formed in 1998.
RSL Funding, LLC. acquires and packages long-term annuities issued by major life insurance companies to fund personal injury settlements. The company was formed in 2003 following the passage of enabling federal legislation. RSL Funding operates throughout the U.S.
Additionally, from 2005 – 2007, Mr. Feldman served as Chairman of Northstar Healthcare (NHC:TO), which was a roll-up of Houston-area ambulatory surgery centers, floated in what was the largest IPO in Canada during 2007, raising $175 million. Serving as chief architects of the Northstar transaction, through his Capstone affiliate, Mr. Feldman lead a team of investment bankers, lawyers, and accountants from Vancouver, Toronto, New York, Philadelphia, Houston and San Francisco in completing this complex, groundbreaking deal. The transaction was widely reported in the Canadian financial press. The public offering financed the acquisition of Mr. Feldman's interest in this venture, at which time he passed Northstar's operations to professional management.
Over the last 30 years, Mr. Feldman has been interviewed by local, national and international media, and written extensively on captive insurance and taxation. Below are some articles written by Stewart A. Feldman.
- Pulling Power: A Slow Migration of US Captives to Their Home States
- Why Anguilla Still Makes Sense for Offshore Captive Insurance Companies
- Finding Tax Relief May Require a Microscope
- The Middle Market Gusher
- Why Own Your Own Captive Insurance Company?
- Podcast - Benefits of Captive Insurance
- Podcast - What Size Businesses Can Benefit from a Captive Insurance Company?
- Self Insurance vs. Captive Insurance
- The Captive Manager Fallacy
- Why Businesses Should Form Captive Insurance Companies
- Building Value With Your Captive
- Captive Insurance Growth Among Smaller Middle Market Businesses
- Benefits of Physician-Owned Captive Insurance Companies
- Texas Lawyer Roundtable Series on Insurance
- Middle Market Companies Look to Captive Insurance as Risk Planning Alternative
- Benefits of Captive Insurance for Entrepreneurs and Business owners
- Middle market Captive Insurance Growth
- Five Questions with Stewart Feldman
- Captive Insurance Manager Bullish on Captive Growth
1Note that Mr. Feldman no longer practices as a CPA and, as such, does not hold a current CPA license in either Ohio or Texas.
- Graduate of Oklahoma State University with bachelors degrees in science and business in 1975
- Masters degree in accounting in 1977. Dean's List in all semesters
- Graduate instructor in accounting and auditing at Oklahoma State University
- Adjunct professor of managerial accounting at University of Houston - Downtown Campus
Mr. Earls has worked at the national office of Ernst & Young researching financial accounting and reporting issues and at E&Y's local office performing audits for a variety of industries; additionally, he has worked for two different Fortune 500 companies doing merger and acquisition reviews and performing a variety of other financial and administrative functions.
Mr. Earls has also worked as a business consultant to privately-held businesses performing a variety of strategic planning, business valuation, acquisition intermediary and general administrative service assignments.
Certified Public Accountant since 1975.
Mr. Earls area of focus is on strategic planning and administration of ancillary business services.
- Certificate of Accountancy award by The University of Houston, C.T. Bauer College of Business, December 2013
- CPA Eligible as of December 2013
- B.S., Finance awarded by University of Phoenix, 2010
- Associate in Risk Management (ARM) certification
Ms. Brooks is Vice President, Operations at Capstone Associated Services. Megan brings over 15 years experience in the accounting field and 8 years experience in the captive insurance industry.
Prior to Capstone, Ms. Brooks served as Controller for a Houston area manufacturing company where she worked with outside auditing firms and banks to facilitate the company’s compliance programs and asset-backed loans. Megan also worked in the housing industry as an Accounting Manager of over 10 properties nationwide. She oversaw property budgets, negotiated vendor contracts and facilitated the payment of federal housing and tax credit programs.
In her role at Capstone, Ms. Books provides investment support for client captives, which includes providing assistance in such areas as corporate transactions (e.g. dividend and liquidations), solvency calculations, and reinsurance arrangements. Ms. Brooks also works closely with legal counsel in providing document/collateral review and compliance support for captive insurance company asset-backed loan portfolios.
Below are some articles written by Megan M. Brooks, ARM
- Filter Out the Noise – The Real Issue is Insurance
- Overcoming Bank Over-Regulation Hassles with a Captive
- The Actuary: Strengthening Captive Insurers
- The Many Hats of a Middle Market CFO
- Floyd Griffith - Business Development Manager
- David Overbeck - Director of Insurance
- Fiona M. Curtis - Resident Manager, CIMA
- Sharanda Davis - Insurance Operations Coordinator
- Emily Haluska - Senior Underwriting Analyst
- John C. Boskat - Accounting Manager
- Craig Wroten - Senior Accountant
- Sandra Torbica - Financial Compliance Specialist
- Jade Byrd - Senior Accountant
- Tasha Hubbard - Senior Contract Administrator
LEGAL COUNSEL - through THE FELDMAN LAW FIRM
- Michael T. Kelly - Corporate Attorney
- Steve Cohen - Tax Attorney
- Logan R. Gremillion - Tax Attorney
- Montere "Monty" Wuensche - Tax Attorney
- James Tongee - Senior Administrator
- Valerie Garcia - New Clients & Billing
- Catherine Torango - Special Projects Administrator
- Judy Harley - Lead Corporate Paralegal
- Dilmar Morato - Corporate Paralegal
- Erin Band - Business Development Specialist
Need to contact one of our captive experts?
Click here to see the various categories of our captive services and their respective contacts.
Please contact us for more information.